Saturday, March 16, 2019

Making headway but hit a few snags..

Tonight I got started and started taking inventory and installing some of the upgrades I picked up. It was fun - but I didn't have a heap of time to tinker too much....



I am missing the SCSI port screws which allow me to mount the connection to the case as well as allow the cable to screw in to the port. I will see about picking up a few.

Snag#1 - No SCSI terminator in sight. I didn't get one shipped with the hard drive so now I have to dig through some parts drawers or just order one. 

Snag#2 - 3.5 diskdrive has some issues. It will not eject at all. I have to paper clip it to eject a disk. bummer. I will take a closer look later, maybe there is something I can do (?)



Here I am installing the GGlabs 4MB ram card. This was painless and easy as can be.

Snag #4 - There is a reason why there is a IIgs power supply outside, on my deck, in the snow. :(




While showing my son the virtues of retro computing (for me).. and giving a bit of a history lesson on the IIgs - POP... Pooffffff The original psu smokes pretty bad - much to my teenager's amusement. As I disconnect power, smoke fills the house with a horrid smell. I was ready for it and quickly got my replacement psu out of its packaging and replace it on the fly, all is well again in the world. Why I didn't do this right off the bat was stupid - but I was eager to try out the new-to-me RGB monitor and give it a whirl. This quick change-out also reminded me that I need to get the battery taken care of as well - more things to order.

It is now 11PM and time to clean up a bit and call it a night. I will regroup a little and sort out solutions tomorrow.

I did get to boot into System 6.0.1 for the first time in ages, from the floppy System disk. So small victories tonight but still much to do.





No comments:

Post a Comment