Friday, March 15, 2019

Amassing Parts and Quest for an A2M6014

I have been on a journey to collect parts for my new IIgs. It has taken a few weeks but by this weekend I should be ready to get to work. I am still waiting on a few other solutions such as an Uthernet II card from A2retrosystems.com and a compact flash/usb/SD mass storage card for taking care of disk images and transferring files easily. (I -just- missed my opportunity to grab one of the last CFFA3000 cards last week)

By far the most difficult item to acquire really has been an original IIgs RGB monitor, the A2M6014. I sat through a few ebay auctions only to get sniped in the end time and time again. I finally bit the bullet and paid quite a bit for one from online Apple retro vendor, Apple Rescue of Denver. Oof that was painful, but I was in a moment of defeat after I was sniped again last Saturday evening on ebay so I pulled the trigger. Apple Rescue of Denver were excellent to work with and they let me know that they were putting my monitor through its paces for a day or two to make sure it was good to go. Hopefully in a few hours it will be at my doorstep safely/damaged-free and I will be ready to spend my weekend getting my IIgs operational.



So here is what I have:

New PSU from REactiveMicro

2sonic Stereo 2-ch sound card form REactiveMicro

Original Apple SCSI card (new in box) - Likely to upgrade in the future, price was right and it will get me started.

Apple lacie external SCSI hard drive

Uthernet card for getting my IIgs online (in transit)

Kraft joystick

More cables than I really needed (SCSI terminators, RGB cables, ADB cables, etc.)

Apple IIgs System 6.0.1 3.5" floppies

Apple 5.25" drive

Apple 3.5" drive

Original Apple desktop mouse (ADB)

* Still trying to get an original IIgs keyboard which also has been eluding me on ebay for a reasonable price. However I will just use my Motorola StarMax keyboard I already have for now

GGlabs 4MB Ram Card ( I likely will upgrade to 8MB eventually)



Needless to say my office is a hot mess! Shipping peanuts and boxes everywhere. I will update this post later tonight with photos once I have some order and reason in my tiny office, right now its pretty insane.

No idea what is in store for me - hopefully all goes well but it has been over 25 years since I used an Apple II so it is essentially like I am flying blind. However the Apple II community is awesome and friendly as I have already met some people that are eager to help me out when I get stuck - and I am sure that I will.


No comments:

Post a Comment